CCI rejects Devgn’s allegation of YRF abusing dominant position

The Competition Commission of India (CCI) has rejected the plea of actor-producer Ajay Devgn against Yash Raj Films (YRF) for their alleged abuse of dominant position ahead of release of Shah Rukh Khan-starrer Jab Tak Hai Jaan (JTHJ).

Devgn alleged that YRF was abusing its dominant position and was asking exhibitors to provide more screens to their release than for his film Son of Sardaar.

Both the films will be released this Diwali, November 13, 2012.

“We considered the plea application. We have not found any merit in the case as there is no case of abuse of dominant position. This is a case of first comer. That can not be held against them (YRF). Hence there is no violation of Section 3 of the Competition Act,” an official source told the Indian Express. The orders for the same will be issued soon, the official said.

Earlier, last week, the Delhi High Court had asked the CCI to expeditiously decide the complaint by Ajay Devgn Films not getting enough single-screen theatres due to YRF abusing its position.

YRF had apparently told the exhibitors that it will give Salman Khan-starrer Ek Tha Tiger only if they agreed to give its Diwali release prominence over other films.

However, the production house, YRF, denied the allegations, arguing that a Yash Chopra-Shah Rukh Khan movie, coming after a gap of eight years, did not need any coercion for contractual screening.

Devgn Films lawyers in statement had said, “YRF has entered into a tie-in arrangement with the exhibitors in a manner that it has made it compulsory for the exhibitors to exhibit the untitled movie of YRF on Diwali day and two weeks thereafter with all four shows.” They added that such a tie-in arrangement in the present circumstances violates Section 3 of the Competition Act, 2002.
http://www.indianexpress.com/news/cci-rejects-devgn-s-allegation-of-yrf-abusing-dominant-position/1027301/

Tags:
2 Comments
  1. sauravjha 7 years ago

    Well it was always expected. What m not getting is what did they(ADF) expect to get out of this case by lodging it so late?? Apart from free publicity nothing comes to mind. Its almost like they woke up frm sleep one day and saw JTHJ has all the screens!? Ajay Devgn was the last man in this industry who cud have done this but now even he has joined in. Interesting next two weeks ahead!

  2. sputnik 7 years ago

    Complaint Filed By Ajay Devgn Is Wrong: Shah Rukh Khan

    Two of Bollywood’s big releases: Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Jab Tak Hai Jaan’ and Ajay Devgn’s ‘Son Of Sardaar’ are releasing the same day. And the superstar, Shah Rukh says he is amused with the row over the two films, especially when everything had been sorted almost a year ago.

    Directed by the late Yash Chopra, ‘Jab Tak Hai Jaan’ (JTHJ) is coming out Nov 13 and “Son of Sardaar” (SOS) is also releasing on the same day.

    Ajay has filed a complaint with the Competition Commission of India (CCI) alleging that the makers of JTHJ have been blocking the release of his film SOS in certain theatres.

    According to SRK, the release date was locked a year ago and the screens were also booked than.

    “I find it amusing. This has been decided since a year… They (makers of ‘Son of Sardaar’) must have also known, so what is the problem then? If you have delayed, then it’s not our fault. I just find it wrong,” he added.

    The 47-year-old also clarified that they have not forced any exhibitor to showcase their film.

    “I don’t understand all this. I feel that the exhibitors represent the consumers to me. As a business person, I cannot assume that anything has been put on anyone by force. They chose the film,” he said.

    “We only wish them best and hope that both films do good business,” he added.

    While director Ashwni Dhir’s SOS is a comedy, JTHJ is a romantic drama that has two leading ladies – Anushka Sharma and Katrina Kaif.

    Talking about his character in the film, SRK said: “It is about a man who cannot die. Through him we show that love never ceases.”

    He added: “I think people will really like the film, I don’t know in figures (box office collection).”

    Post ‘Jab Tak Hai Jaan’, the actor will be busy with Rohit Shetty’s ‘Chennai Express’, which also stars Deepika Padukone.

    ” ‘Chennai Express’ is there at the moment. I am also discussing two or three more films at the moment,” he said.

    He plans to start shooting for Farah Khan’s ‘Happy New Year’ soon.

    http://businessofcinema.com/news/complaint-filed-by-ajay-devgn-is-wrong-shah-rukh-khan/53583

Leave a reply

Log in with your credentials

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account