Playing just 124 innings, Virat Kohli became the fastest batsman to score 19 ODI hundreds as he broke the world record held previously by his Royal Challengers Bangalore teammate Chris Gayle, who took 189 innings to reach 19 tons. Here are some of the other statistical highlights from India vs Bangladesh Asia Cup tie at Fatullah:
- Virat Kohli (136 off 122 balls) has set a record for the highest individual innings by a captain at the Asia Cup, bettering the 135 not out by Sourav Ganguly vs Bangladesh at Dhaka on May 30, 2000.
- Kohli is the first batsman to register three hundreds in India-Bangladesh ODIs, surpassing Gautam Gambhir’s tally of two.
- Kohli, with five hundreds in ODIs in Bangladesh, has extended his record – the next highest being Gautam Gambhir’s three.
- Kohli’s tally of twelve hundreds in 47 innings in successful chases is the second highest in ODIs, next only to Sachin Tendulkar’s 14 in 124 innings.
- Kohli is averaging 85.96 in successful chases while aggregating 2837 in 47 innings – the fourth best average amongst the batsmen with atleast 1,000 runs – the highest being 103.00 by Mahendra Singh Dhoni.
- Kohli has taken only 124 innings to reach 19 hundreds in ODIs – a world record, eclipsing Chris Gayle’s feat of reaching the milestone in 189 innings, followed by Sachin Tendulkar (194) and Sourav Ganguly (197).
- For India, twelve hundreds have been recorded in successful chases by captains in ODIs. Sourav Ganguly heads the chart with four, followed by two each by Sachin Tendulkar, Gautam Gambhir and Virat Kohli and one each by Rahul Dravid and Mahendra Singh Dhoni
- Kohli has got his 18th Man of the Match award in ODIs – his second vs Bangladesh.
- Virat Kohli and Ajinkya Rahane were involved in a third-wicket stand of 213 – India’s highest partnership for any wicket at the Asia Cup, obliterating the 205 between Gautam Gambhir and Kohli for the second wicket vs Sri Lanka at Dhaka on March 13, 2012.
- India’s previous highest third wicket partnership at the Asia Cup was 175 (unbroken) between Mohammad Azharuddin and Navjot Singh Sidhu vs Sri Lanka at Sharjah on April 14, 1995.
- The aforesaid partnership is the highest by any pair for any wicket vs Bangladesh at the Asia Cup. Of the six stands of 200 or more at the Asia cup, three have been registered against Bangladesh.
- The 213-run stand is the highest for any wicket in India-Bangladesh ODIs, surpassing the 203 for the third wicket by Virender Sehwag and Virat Kohli at Dhaka on February 19, 2011.
http://sports.ndtv.com/asia-cup-2014/news/221365-virat-kohli-fastest-to-19-hundreds-breaks-chris-gayles-world-recordTags: Cricket Virat Kohli