Posting on behalf of Anas Ghayas
Expectations were high and an interesting marketing campaign chosen by the dynamic Khan gave indications that we are in for another WTF-ending after Kahaani early this year. Kahaani had its issues but Aamir Khan at the helm meant he might topple that, despite reports of plot being similar to Kahaani.
Talaash is an interestingly leisured movie that is to be watched and understood for its deep rooting somber mood rather than edge of seat thriller. Much to the chagrin of Indian movie goer.Long shots works well with tone of the movie however with some tighter scissors, it would have being a much better than it ended out to be. Here are a few I would like to discuss :
1. The scene where Aamir confronts Shernaz Patel when he finds that “Pagal women” with this wife apparently taking to their son . The problem lies in lines which Shernaz Patel mouths, you kinda get the feeling these lines will replay in the flash back at the climax .
2. Kareena’s Da vinci coded line in the lift to Aamir about Shashi’s whereabouts and Aamir deciphering them like a genius next morning.
3. They could have added more red herrings like the one at the stroke on interval – when it is implied Rosy is talking to Temur or earlier in the movie when she talks to Shashi in the cab .
4. Could have allowed another character to speak in-directly to Rosy , would have thrown audience more off track
5. Anurag Kashyap did some additional dialogues for the movie which are outright disappointing. Take for matter the conversation between Rosy & Inspector at the beach side .
6. Should have thrown in more potential suspects to divert the attention from the real suspense .
Guess , the major problem remains with dialogues & appearance of Kareena’s character . Not to take away anything from her , from a gorgeous performance she gave . But the dialogues where too clunky , cheesy & give away.
The question remains , if the plot was such a guarded secret and the whole marketing was built on the keeping the story like Coca-Cola formula deep in Atlantic Ocean . Then, why giving away such freeways to the audience.
Talaash is excellent when witnessed as psychological drama with a deep character study but fails viscerally as suspense thriller . So , that Gupt like suspense which was matched to extent by Kahaani early this year – is by far our best answer to Usual Suspects & Sixth Sense !
P.S : Food for thought – The feel & the tone of the movie is lifted from AMC’s TV series “The Killing “. Set in Seattle , shows the city in a very different light . The series is very pensive , moody & times get boring . The main character also faces some inner demonsTags: Aamir Khan Articles Kahaani Kareena Kapoor Talaash